Questions and Answers
What are the attributes of God?
- 1.God is Sovereign. He is absolute. Psalm 8:4 says “What is man, that Thou are mindful of him? and the son of man, that Thou visitest him?” See also Romans 9:19-21. Everything that comes into being is a result of the sovereign choice and creation of God. Consequently, we should never question God, “Why did you make me as I am?” You are God’s unique creation. We live and move under a Sovereign God.
- 2.God is Grace and Love. God’s attitude toward even the worst of sinners is that He wants to save him. See Romans 5:8-11, 20-21.
- 3.God is Infinite. He is without end – without limit. Scientists tell us that the universe is expanding outward at a tremendous speed, but God is always beyond it. The universe will never go beyond our infinite God.
- 4.God is Omnipresent. God is everywhere, always present. The Psalmist said,”…if I make my bed in hell, behold, Thou art there.” See Psalm 139:7-17.
- 5.God is Omniscient. He is all-knowing. There is not, or was not, or will never be a time when God had to seek advice or to consult someone or some source outside Himself, or study something out. Certainly within the Godhead there was counsel, but it was immediate, there was no debate among the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- God is self-existent.He has no beginning, He has no end.
In Genesis 1:1, “God” refers to the Trinity – God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. This Triune God is Spirit, invisible, intangible – He is unable to be comprehended with the senses of man. But in Col. 1:15, speaking of Jesus, it says, “Who is the image of the invisible God, …” God became visible in the flesh; He became touchable.